Set up voice and video chat
- Download the voice and video chat plug-in.
- If you are not using Chrome or Safari, quit all open browser windows and install the plug-in.
- Go to https://mail.google.com and sign in to Gmail. You'll see your list of available contacts on the left side of your Gmail inbox. If you do not have a Gmail account, you'll need to create one.
Start video chatting
Once you've downloaded the plug-in and signed in to Gmail or Google+, select the contact you want to call from your chat list.
If your friend doesn't have a camera next to their name in your chat list, they can download the voice and video chat plug-in. If your friend doesn't have a video camera, you can still have a voice chat or have a one-way video chat.
To video chat with up to 9 people at once, click Invite People from inside the Google+ Hangouts window. To video chat with more than 1 person at the same time, all invitees will need a Google+ Account.
Chat on or off the record
Chats that have been taken off the record aren't stored in your Gmail chat history or in the Gmail chat history of your contact. You and the person you're talking to can both see when a chat is taken off the record and you'll be notified if off the record mode is disabled. Your off the record settings will apply whenever you chat with this person — until one of you makes a change.
- To take a chat off record, click the Actions link at the top of the chat window.
- Select Go off the record.
More Tools for Veterans
Reconnect with your loved ones
- Video chat with friends and family from anywhere
- Record a video to share with loved ones
- Find news articles related your time in the service
- Draw with your family from 1,000 miles away