Record a video to share with loved ones
Whatever you want to say or share, create a video and send it to the people you care about. Once you share your video with them, they'll be able to access it from any computer.
Create a YouTube account
Go to www.youtube.com, click Sign in in the top right corner, and enter your Google Account login information. This is the same username and password you use for Google Drive, Gmail or any other Google product.
If you don't have a YouTube or Google Account already:
- Click Sign in in the top right corner of www.youtube.com.
- Click Create Account in the top right corner.
- Enter some basic information in order to create your new Google Account.
- Your new Google Account is what you’ll use to sign in to YouTube in the future (you’ll also be able to use this username and password to log in to other Google products like Gmail, Drive, Google+ and Wallet).
Set up your YouTube channel
Now that you've created a YouTube account, you automatically have a YouTube channel. Your channel is your place to store and display the videos you upload to YouTube. You can also create playlists and choose your favorite existing videos within your channel.
- To get to your channel, click on your username, then My Channel, while signed in to YouTube.
- Click the Channel Settings button to edit your channel.
- Click Done Editing when you're done.
Record a video
You can upload a video you've already recorded or you can use a webcam to record one while you're logged in to your YouTube account. To record a video using your webcam and YouTube:
- While signed in to your YouTube account, click Upload, then Record from webcam.
- If you see a message about requesting access to your camera and microphone, click the Allow button.
- You should see yourself on screen. Click the Record button to start recording your video. When you're finished recording, click the square red button.
- If you'd like to watch your video, click Preview. If you're satisfied with it, click the Publish button. Need a second take? Click the Re-record button to try again.
- Once you publish your video, you'll be able to adjust the settings. If you only want certain people to see your video, click Unlisted under the Broadcasting and Sharing Options section.
- Click Save Changes when you're done.
Share your video with loved ones
There are different sharing options for your video, depending on the privacy settings you've selected.
- If you've chosen to make your video public, anyone can see it. Unlisted means only people who have the link to your video can see it. Private means only the specific people you select can see it.
When you click Share, you'll see options to share your video via a link, Google+, Facebook or Twitter.
- Note that videos you've set as private won't be viewable if you choose to share them this way. To share a private video, click on your username at the top of the screen, then click Videos. Click Edit under the video you want, make sure the Private button is selected, then you'll see a place to enter the YouTube usernames of the people with whom you want to share it. Save your changes and you're done.
To keep your videos private, follow these steps:
- While signed in to YouTube, click on your username at the top of the screen.
- Click Videos.
- You'll see all your videos listed and the privacy settings will be noted for each one.
- Click Edit on any video for which you want to change the privacy settings.
- Under Privacy options. Choose Unlisted or Private.
- Save your changes.
More Tools for Veterans
Reconnect with your loved ones
- Video chat with friends and family from anywhere
- Record a video to share with loved ones
- Find news articles related your time in the service
- Draw with your family from 1,000 miles away