Help fellow veterans through their transition
Consider helping other veterans learn from your experience. All it takes is sharing a few transition tips. We've organized these into six categories.
Sign in to your YouTube account
Go to www.youtube.com, click Sign in in the top right corner, and enter your Google Account login information. This is the same username and password you use Google Drive, Gmail or any other Google product.
If you don't have a YouTube or Google Account already:
- Click Sign in in the top right corner of www.youtube.com.
- Click Create Account in the top right corner
- Enter some basic information in order to create your new Google Account.
- Your new Google Account is what you’ll use to sign in to YouTube in the future (you’ll also be able to use this username and password to log in to other Google products like Gmail, Drive, Google+ and Wallet).
Listen, learn and connect
The Google Veterans Channel on YouTube is a good way for you to listen to other people's stories, learn from their experiences, and connect to other members of the veteran community.
Go to www.youtube.com/veterans and choose from one of the following categories. Then, watch, listen, and explore on the channel. You may also share the video with your friends by emailing it or sharing it through your social networks.
- Finding a Civilian Job
- Going Back to School
- Managing Finances
- Continuing to Serve
- Communicating Experiences to Loved Ones
- Getting Help/Taking Care of Yourself
Share your story
To share your story with the community on the Google for Veterans YouTube channel, you can upload a video you've already recorded, or you can use a webcam to record one. To record a video using your webcam and YouTube:
- Go to the Google Veterans Channel at www.youtube.com/veterans.
- Click Upload, then Record from webcam.
- If you see a message about requesting access to your camera and microphone, click the Allow button.
- You should see yourself on screen. Click the Record button to start recording your video. When you're finished recording, click the red square button.
- If you'd like to watch your video, click Preview. If you're satisfied with it, click the Publish button. Need a second take? Click the Re-record button to try again.
- Once you publish your video, you'll be able to adjust the settings. If you only want certain people to see your video, click Unlisted under the Broadcasting and Sharing Options section. This way, only those people with whom you share your video link will be able to view it.
- Click Save Changes when you're done.
More Tools for Veterans
Connect with fellow veterans
- Find and meet other veterans
- Collaborate on a map of your service
- Watch 3D virtual tours of service and build your own tour soon
- Talk with up to ten veterans in a group video chat
- Help fellow veterans through their transition
- Share selectively with other veterans you are close with