Talk with up to ten veterans in a group video chat
Google+ Hangouts let you video chat with up to ten people at once, so you can talk face-to-face with other veterans in a private setting. These chats are open only to people you specifically invite.
Google+ Hangouts demo video
Organize your service buddies in Google+ circles
To get started, sign up for Google+ at plus.google.com - it's free and anyone can join. You can then add friends and family who are already on Google+ and organize them however you want into your Google+ circles. For example, you might create a circle for "Friends from Deployment" and another for "Boot Camp Buddies."
Here's how to create circles:
- Visit plus.google.com/circles.
Select the people you want to include in your circle. You can select more than one person at a time by clicking on more than one name tile.
- Drag and drop the tiles into the blank circle that says Drop here to create a new circle.
- Each time you drop people into a circle, we'll display a number showing you how many people you've added. If you try to add someone to a circle they're already in, they won't be added again.
- To name your circle, click Create circle. A pop-up box will appear so you can edit the circle name. Circle names are visible only to you.
You can put the same person into as many circles as you like. For example, your brother might belong in both your "Service Buddies" and "Family" circles. We'll notify a person that you've added them to a circle, but they won't be able to see the circle name or who else is in the circle.
Join a hangout to connect with other people
Hangouts are video chats with up to 10 people. If you’re starting a hangout with your service buddies, you'll be able to host 9 other people at a time. When one person leaves, another person will be able to join. You can make a hangout public for anyone to join or you can open it to specific circles that you've created.
- Download and install the voice and video chat plug-in.
- Go to plus.google.com.
Click the Join this hangout button in your Google+ stream.
- Your webcam will turn on, and you'll be taken to a private "green room" where you can adjust your camera. (This is a good time to fix your hair.)
- Click +Add names, circles, or email addresses to invite more circles or individuals to hang out.
- Click the blue Hang out button.
As people click the Join hangout button, they’ll pop up in your hangout window.
More Tools for Veterans
Connect with fellow veterans
- Find and meet other veterans
- Collaborate on a map of your service
- Watch 3D virtual tours of service and build your own tour soon
- Talk with up to ten veterans in a group video chat
- Help fellow veterans through their transition
- Share selectively with other veterans you are close with