Create a YouTube account
Go to www.youtube.com. click Sign in in the top right corner, and enter your Google Account login information. This is the same username and password you use for Google Docs, Gmail or any other Google product.
If you don't have a YouTube or Google Account already:
- Click Sign in in the top right of www.youtube.com.
- Click Create Account in the top right corner.
- Enter some basic information in order to create your new Google Account.
- Your new Google Account is what you’ll use to sign in to YouTube in the future (you’ll also be able to use this username and password to log in to other Google products like Gmail, Docs, Google+ and Wallet).
Set up your YouTube channel
Now that you've created a YouTube account, you automatically have a YouTube channel. Your channel is your place to store and display the videos you upload to YouTube. You can also create playlists and choose your favorite existing videos within your channel.
- To get to your channel, click on your username, then My Channel, while signed in to YouTube.
- Click the Channel Settings button to edit your channel.
- Click Done Editing when you're done.
Upload videos to YouTube
You can upload almost any common video file format to YouTube. Just make sure your video is smaller than 2GB and less than 15 minutes long.
- Click the Upload link at the top of any YouTube page.
- Click the Upload video button to browse for the video file you want. Select the file you want to upload and click Open.
- As the video file is uploading, you can enter information about your video in the relevant fields (including Title, Description, Tags and Category). If you want other users to be able to easily find your video, include as much detail as possible.
- Click Save Changes when you're done.
Build your tribute
Visit www.youtube.com/editor to edit and combine your videos. You can even add your own soundtrack.
Share your tribute
There are different sharing options for your video, depending on the privacy settings you've selected.
- If you've chosen to make your video public, anyone can see it. Unlisted means that only people who have the link to your video can see it. Private means only the specific people you select can see it.
When you click Share, you'll see options to share your video via a link, Facebook or Twitter.
- Note that videos you've set as private won't be viewable if you choose to share them this way. To share a private video, click on your username at the top of the screen, then click Videos. Click Edit under the video you want, make sure the Private button is selected, then you'll see a place to enter the YouTube usernames of the people with whom you want to share it. Save your changes and you're done.
Keep a video private
To keep your videos private, follow these steps:
- While signed in to YouTube, click on your username at the top of the screen.
- Click Videos.
- You'll see all your videos listed, and the privacy settings will be noted for each one.
- Click Edit on any video you want to change the privacy settings for.
- Under Broadcasting and Sharing Options, you'll see Privacy options. Choose Unlisted or Private.
- Save your changes.
More Tools for Families
Connect with Peer Support
- Start or join a group with other military families
- Write your resume and edit it with a friend
- Memorialize a loved one
- Start or join a video chat with up to ten people